Philani Project

AIAIA has supported the Day Care at Philani Project, from it's beginning by providing food for the children. The women of the informal settlements in Cross Roads, Khayeliyeha & Browns Farm and Cape Town keep the program running by producing and selling handmade printed and woven products. These products are well-known for their high-quality, vibrant colours and lively, uniquely South African designs. Each Philani product purchased helps to empower a South African mother, assisting her in improving her own and her children’s lives. Mothers are self-employed and at least 65% of any item sold goes directly to the mother who made it. The other 35% is retained to meet part of the cost for materials and training.

The Philani Maternal, Child Health and Nutrition Project has been addressing child health and nutrition problems in the informal settlements surrounding Cape Town since 1979. Philani’s mandate is sustainable community health, and, over the years, they have developed programs to meet the needs of the communities they serve. As an organization they aim to improve health outcomes by combining their skills and resources with the knowledge and resources that exist in the community. Their programs promote family health, focusing on the support of pregnant mothers, prevention of child  malnutrition and the rehabilitation of underweight children. They are committed to limiting the suffering of families infected and affected by HIV and preventing the spread of the virus.

Visit our Flickr page for more photos